the Dusty Trail

this and that from here and there

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Cell phone etiquette, or symptom of larger issue?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not sure that I agree with the actions of the policeman in this story, but had I actually been there, I might have applauded him slapping the cuffs on this woman. My uncertainty is the fact that I think the woman's rudeness displayed here isn't so much a problem in itself, but a symptom of a larger problem that needs addressing in modern society.

There is no doubt that cell phones (and other technology, but I will focus on cell phones here) are a great invention, and enhance many lives, if used judiciously. However, when they aren't used in this way, I wonder if it points to some sort of personal issue beyond a simple lack of manners. Both for the person using the cell phone, and the random observers who are offended by it.

Over the past few years, a lot has been said about the hazards of cell phones while driving. A lot of smart individuals asked "Why are cell phones being singled out, when talking to a passenger, eating behind the wheel, etc. are just as dangerous?" Of course, a straight answer to this question was never given. And cell phone bans while driving went into effect in many cities and states.

Some theorized that it was an issue of envy, as in "I wish I could be important enough to have to use a phone while driving, but since I'm not, I'll rain on everyone's parade." Of course, I think that a portion did have safety issues at heart, and were using the cell phone issue as a starting point to address the other unsafe things people do while driving. How much came from column A and how much from column B are up for debate.

Going on to the person actually talking on the cell phone, I have to wonder if that conversation really HAD to happen at that exact moment. Sometimes, I have to wonder if people talk loudly and rudely just to be seen with a cell phone, whether to satisfy some bizarre need to be thought of in as important by random observers, or to allow themselves feel better about themselves. Being thought of as rude by random strangers becomes a weird form of self-esteem or self-affirmation. People wouldn't be rude in public with cell phones if they didn't get some form of psychiatric reward for it.

fortunately, I have been blessed with the ability to tune out these folks, so I avoid feeding these egos whenever possible. I realize that not everyone can do this, but it can be done with practice, and possibly a willingness to temporarily relocate to another portion of the video store.

Cell phone talker's arrest stirs etiquette debate CNET News.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home